Are you conscious when you smile? Trying to avoid the teeth being captured or seen while smiling due to plaque? Tooth scaling is the best treatment to have picture perfect smile and whiten the teeth.
Tooth scaling is a simple treatment and is availed by many people. Still we have seen many people don’t know its basics and have many questions like is scaling good for teeth, benefits of teeth scaling, how long does teeth scaling take, is teeth scaling necessary, why scaling of teeth is done etc. Before availing a treatment its paramount that you have proper information about the treatment. So today, Sabka Dentist will help you to clear all these Scaling Treatment doubts in the form of FAQ’s and will elaborate on benefits of teeth scaling/cleaning.
Let us look at some FAQ’s about teeth scaling
- What is Tooth Scaling or why the scaling of teeth is done?
Tooth scaling & root planing are companions. Teeth scaling is a procedure used to eliminate tartar which is also frequently known as plaque or calculus to avert periodontal diseases. There are many causes for the plaque to develop like sugar laced foods, improper brushing techniques, coloured liquids, poor oral care, etc. The scaling treatment will remove the brown spots or yellowish texture which has developed on your teeth or even some white sticky substance.
- How long does teeth scaling take?
The duration of the teeth scaling treatment is not very long as it typically needs half an hour to an hour to complete. A comfortable dental chair will be available, and you must lie down on it for the complete procedure relaxing.
- Is teeth scaling necessary?
Periodontal disease is very common and are caused by bacteria. An enabling atmosphere is provided by tartar and calculus for the bacteria to prosper inside the mouth cause further complications. As mentioned above, scaling along with root planning are performed to get rid of calculus and tartar. Its an effective treatment to tackle the disease at an early stage and avoid further complications. If suffering from gingivitis, then it’s a perfect treatment to opt for. If the gum disease is at an advanced stage, teeth scaling, and root planning is a prerequisite before going in for a surgery.
- Can dental scaling damage teeth/can scaling damage teeth?
There is a myth about teeth scaling which relates to teeth weakening and movement in the teeth. There is no truth in it as your teeth doesn’t get feeble or fragile after the teeth scaling treatment. There could be movement in the teeth but its not due to scaling but due to the removal of plaque and tartar which has been there from a long time.
Sometimes the patient has gaps between the teeth and the calculus may get accumulated there and suddenly after the removal of it the patient may feel a new gap has been formed due to scaling but that’s not the case.
Some people may experience sensitivity issue post treatment, but this can be addressed with a sensitivity toothpaste. Within 24 to 48 hours you will feel normal.
All being well you are well guaranteed now about the doubt of can scaling damage your teeth. The answer is straight NO and instead will make you teeth stronger.
- Can scaling whiten teeth?
Yes, to any extend it will help you to whiten your teeth as all debris is removed from your teeth and a whitening treatment after that will you best result.
- Teeth scaling is good or bad?
The misunderstanding that scaling is bad is wrong but to precise scaling is not all bad. It has many paybacks in longer duration. It will help you to get rid of tartar and maintain good oral health care. This will in turn give a longer life to your teeth and you will not be subjected to major dental issues. So, the question of is scaling bad for teeth is negative and as well as people doubt that is scaling of teeth safe and the answer here too is affirmative. The scaling of the teeth is completely safe although you may experience some discomfort post treatment depending upon the case but its very minor which is very easy to recover like sensitivity.
- Benefits of teeth scaling
- Avoid cavities and tooth decay: Tooth decay and cavities are the starting point of any major dental issue so teeth scaling will you to prevent these. The cavities become the host for plaque and damage the enamel layer of the teeth which is the hardest part of your teeth. So, imagine what further damage it can do! Plaque is nothing but white sticky substance layered on your teeth. A visit to dentist for scaling every 6 months will help to keep plaque at bay along with proper oral hygiene like brushing twice a day and flossing.
- Prevent Periodontal disease: Plaque is the culprit for many problems so it will also impair your gums if it has developed beneath the gumline. This can further lead to tooth lose. Teeth scaling or cleaning, will guard your gumline which is a strong anchor to your teeth and maintain overall good oral care.
- Remove stains: Consuming tea, coffee, coloured liquids, wine or tobacco causes tinges on the teeth. It helps you to remove all these pigments from and on your teeth and retain a happy smile and to some extent whiten the teeth.
- Prevent bad breadth: Plaque being the cause of many dental issues traps the bacteria and develops into tartar a hard substance on the teeth and this will result into halitosis or bad breath. With the help of daily brushing and flossing you will see partial results and to completely get rid of the bad breath scaling is necessary. The removal of all bacteria, stains, tartar, plaque will freshen up your mouth.
- Save money on restorative dentistry: There are many reasons why people don’t go for a regular teeth scaling or cleaning and one of them is to save the cost but to your surprise the cost of teeth cleaning is far less than the condition developed devoid of regular teeth scaling as it aggravates the dental issues. In such a scenario, you will have to shell out more money for restorative dentistry or treat the periodontal disease. Preventive is always better than cure, so teeth scaling is a part of preventive care and helps to keep many dental issues at bay.