Less production of saliva in the mouth leads to dry mouth. Individuals with less production saliva due to ample results face dry mouth problems. Hence, it is very necessary to keep the mouth healthy.
Dry mouth causes
- Medications: Due to other medical problems and on-going medication, dry mouth is normal to experience.
- Age: Dry mouth problem is majorly seen in older adults due to the aging, bur intake of medication may also result in dry mouth problems.
- Cancer treatment: People suffering from cancer have to go through a therapy of radiation almost every time. Head and neck require radiation therapy. It may damage the salivary glands, and resulting in less production of saliva.
- Injury or surgery: Head or neck injury or surgery can result in the production of less saliva in the production, resulting in dry mouth.
- Tobacco: Chewing tobacco or smoking tobacco is not a good habit, it may spoil the overall health and also spoil the other dental problem like dry mouth.
- Dehydration: Dehydration is caused due to lack of sufficient intake of liquid.
- Exercising or playing in the heat: It is a natural phenomenon that while exercising and playing in the heat experiencing dry mouth is normal. Hence, to avoid that keep your hydrated.
Dry mouth can occur due to many health issues and bad routine habits like:
- Improper care diabetes
- sleeping with the mouth open
- Bad Snoring habits
Dry mouth Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of dry mouth may include:
- bad breath
- inflammation that occurs in the gumline
- cracking in the lips.
- dryness in the mouth
- taste disorders
- fungal infections
- painful tongue
- Less intake of water
- burning of the tongue
- tongue ulcers
- gum disease
- tooth decay and high build-up of plaque
- problem in speaking
- problems swallowing and
- a salivary gland infection
- a sore throat
- sticky saliva
- stringy saliva
Dry mouth Remedies
There are ways to keep your mouth wet by saliva and they include-
- Try sipping sugar-free fluids
- Chewing gum
- use a mouthwash that will help
- Use an alcohol- free mouthwash
- If you have dentures, do not wear them while sleeping.
- Eating healthy food
- Breathe through the nose
Individuals should avoid:
- chewing or smoking tobacco
- sugary eatery items and beverages
- acidic foods or drinks
- dry foods
- spicy foods
- excessively hot or cold drinks
Consumption of alcohol should be done occasionally and caffeine should only be consumed in moderation.
Dry mouth Treatment
Dry mouth treatment depends on many factors and oral problems and other intakes of medication that causes dry mouth.
If an underlying cause is found, steps need to be taken to minimize its effect.
In the case of consuming medications, the dentist will alter by prescribing a dose or drug that will likely reduce the problem of dry mouth.
Stimulating saliva production:
The dentist will prescribe medications to stimulate the production of saliva.
There is various treatment available for dry mouth:
- Increase in the flow of saliva
- replacing lost gland secretions
- controlling dental caries
It is very necessary to look after the problem of dry mouth. It usually includes dental treatments like removing the plaque and tartar, gum infections, dental cavities, etc. Brushing teeth and flossing regularly is important.
As you visit the dental clinic, the dentist will firstly go through the examination of the mouth and search for the signs and symptoms. Once, they detect the problem of dry mouth. They will plan immediately for the treatment. Blood tests and imaging scans of the salivary glands may also be ordered if necessary.
In this procedure, the dentist will measure the flow rate of saliva.
It is the examination of the salivary glands and ducts done by using a radiographic instrument. It will be useful to identify the problem.
In this procedure, the dentist will firstly take a sample of the saliva to suspect the cause. If cancer is suspected, the doctor may also order a biopsy.
What is xerostomia?
Dry mouth is referred to as xerostomia.
Xerostomia is caused due to the improper flow of salivary glands.
It is difficult for the individual to enjoy the type of food they want.
Xerostomia is a very common problem seen in the majority of the people. Hence, it is a side effect of medication that people in-take it and can be improved with a new prescription or with a new dose.
Dry mouth problem is very common in people and occurs in different situations like when we are upset, stressed, or frightened.
Xerostomia is different from dry mouth.
Xerostomia occurs when the individual’s mouth is always dry.
Patients experience dry mouth problems due to medication. It is experienced in older adults. Medication is the main reason for the loss of saliva in older adults and hence, has to be cured because many other problems are associated with it.
Manan Dhulia Dental Director of Sabka dentist says “Dry mouth is a major problem that may cause problems like bad breath. Hence, prior precaution is necessary to take by the dentist.”