Mouthwash is a special liquid that is used to rinse the mouth. Usually, mouthwashes are an antiseptic solution designed to lessen the microbial load in the oral cavity. However, different mouthwashes are made to serve different purposes such as for their analgesic, anti-sensitivity or anti-fungal action.
What does a mouthwash contain?
All mouthwashes contain some similar ingredients with some extra substances added to serve some unique purposes.
- Alcohol: It is a common element in most types of mouthwash. Improves the anti-bacterial effect of a mouthwash.
- Fluoride: Fluoride a chemical usually added to toothpaste and water, which helps to strengthen the teeth enamel. It also protects the teeth from cavities.
- Antiseptics: for example chlorhexidine gluconate and thymol. These help to protect the teeth periodontal disease or gum disease.
- Water Preservative: This element helps to keep the durability of the Mouth wash. It helps to keep the mouth wash Fresh for a longer time. for example sodium benzoate.
- Eucalyptol: This is an anti-inflammatory agent that furnishes mouthwash its pleasant taste and smell.
- Calcium: This agent is added to the Mouth wash to strengthen the teeth. However, it serves an almost similar purpose as Flouride.
- Sweeteners: This element will improve the taste of the Liquid. They include sodium saccharine and xylitol.
Types of Mouthwashes:
There are different types of Mouthwashes available in the market. You can choose this according to your need or with the recommendation of your dentist.
- Antiseptic mouthwash
- Fluoride mouthwash
- Cosmetic mouthwash
- Herbal mouthwash
- Magic mouthwash
- Total care mouthwash
Do I need to compulsorily use a mouthwash?
A Mouth wash is not compulsory as Brushing and Flossing. Although, people enjoy using this as it helps keep their breath fresh for a longer time. There is no such extra benefit but they rinse away dislodged food particles and plaque from brushing and flossing the teeth. They are not an essential part of a daily oral care routine but they may provide some extra protection.