It is commonly seen that people at an older age are prone to losing teeth and weaken gums causing many medical issues. It also stops the functioning of chewing. Hence, there is a proper solution to all the related problems for the people with no set of teeth, and it is Dentures treatment.
It is a removable fixture and the replacement choice for the missing teeth. It is a functional yet aesthetic. There are two types of dentures available like complete and partial dentures. Complete dentures are opted when all the teeth are fallen down whereas partial dentures are used when there are some natural teeth left.
Types of Dentures
- Complete Dentures: It is a denture that is made for the people who have completely lost the set of teeth and wants functionality. It is only made when the teeth have been removed and the gum tissue is healing. The dentures are prepared inside the laboratory and it takes approx 8 weeks to prepare the denture.
- Partial Dentures: it is a denture or bridge that is removable, consists of the replacement of a gum-like base which is a metal frame that holds the denture in place. Partial dentures are ideally used when there are two to three natural teeth remaining in the upper and the lower jaw.
Are There Alternatives to Dentures?
Dental implants can be said to be an alternative to the dentures that are used to support a bridge. As compared to other treatment costs, dental implant cost is greater but the similarity of the bridge and the denture is almost alike. For more consult your dentist.
How Are Dentures Made?
Making of the denture is a quite difficult task. It is a process where it takes a few weeks and several appointments to get it done. The dental expert will give you the following general guidelines about the procedure:
- First, the foremost impression of the jaw is taken and the measurements of the jaw are taken to relate it with another. This process should be carried out precisely as the denture will be fixed in the mouth so while wearing it you should feel comfortable.
- Models of wax are been made to prepare the denture. The model or the substitute will be given for the trial that will examine the comfort and the functioning of the dentures.
- Making a final denture
- Adjustments will be made once the denture is prepared
What Do New Dentures Feel Like?
In the starting days after wearing the braces, you will feel a little odd until the muscles of the cheeks and tongue are totally comfortable with the insertion of the denture. After wearing the new set of teeth you might feel an irritation and soreness inside the mouth. After the wearing of the dentures saliva flow should be fast. Such problems will last for a few days or weeks until the mouth is ready to adjust with the new teeth called dentures.
Will Dentures Make Me Look Different?
Dentures are made to resemble the missing natural teeth. So there will be a slight change in appearance as the dentures are artificial teeth that correct the overall appearance of the teeth.
- Dr. Zita Antao Dental Director of Sabka dentist says “The denture is an affordable and a good option when you miss more than one tooth. It makes helps perform normal activities.”
- Dr. Jena Shah Dental Director of Sabka dentist says “Denture is the affordable thing to everyone.”
- Dr. Preethi Nagarajan Dental Director of Sabka dentist says “In many options in Dentures one can happily go for the suitable option. It will greatly help the tooth functions.”
Will Eating With New Dentures Be Difficult?
Once the Dentures are on you will feel a slight discomfort for a few weeks. As they are fixed inside the mouth through dental treatment. For getting used to the wearing of dentures start by eating soft food, cut the pieces into small bites. Chew slowly and makes use of both sides of your mouth. It is necessary to take precautions with hot or hard foods and sharp-edged bones or shells. And, avoid foods that are extremely sticky or hard. Make sure you should not use a toothpick when you are wearing dentures.
Will Dentures Change How I Speak?
It will be a difficult job of speaking after wearing the dentures. The reason behind this is during the stage of losing teeth there was less initiative taken to speak. Hence, after wearing the dentures pronouncing of words becomes very difficult. With practice and with time you will become accustomed to speaking properly with dentures.
In case, if you start speaking and the dentures click while talking, visit the dentist. There are chances when dentures may slip while laughing, coughing, or smiling. Also, after a few weeks if you still feel the discomfort visit the dental clinic
Are Dentures Worn 24 Hours a Day?
It is the dentist or the denture specialist prosthodontist who will instruct you of wearing dentures and guide you about the caring of it. Basic, instruction will be given by the dentist to you. Once the dentures will be given to you, your dentist will tell you to wear it all the time for a few weeks, to get use to it. Once the dentures are adjusted comfortably, it is said that you can remove the denture while going to bed. This will allow the gum tissues to rest.