SCULPTING A NEW SMILE
Do you remember the last time you smiled for a picture? Did you flash your white teeth or did you hide your teeth?
Today, many people benefit from Cosmetic Dentistry. A wide range of procedures is available that can improve your smile.
Gone are the days when you had to settle with chipped, stained and crooked teeth. A revelation in dentistry ensures that cosmetically enhanced teeth now look more natural and last longer than they did in the past. By skillfully blending the modern techniques, your dentist can “sculpt” a more attractive smile for you.
A confident smile is a powerful way for you to communicate. An improved smile will help you to make a great impression both personally and professionally.
Try answering any of the following questions. If the answer is “ yes” then you need to get a cosmetic evaluation done by your dentist.
- Do you lack confidence when smiling?
- Do you wish you had a smile as pretty as the celebrities?
- Do you wish your teeth were whiter?
- Do you have any discolored or stained teeth or fillings?
- Are any of your teeth Overlapping or crooked?
- Do you have any gaps between teeth?
- Do you have any uneven shape teeth due to chips, fractures or rough edges?
- Do your teeth seem out of proportion because they are uneven in length or shape?
- Are you dissatisfied with the way your gums look?
- Are your gums red, swollen, receding or bleeding?
A variety of treatment options can help to improve the smile. The popular cosmetic options include:
BLEACHING: As the name implies, teeth bleaching- or teeth whitening, is a process of lightening the existing shade of the teeth. It also erases the stains that come from coffee, tea, red wine or tobacco usage. The effects can last for many years depending on how you maintain them. The process is simple, effective and causes few side effects.
A word of caution: Avoid over the counter bleaching systems without dentist prescription. Consult your Dentist for more information.
BONDING: Over time, little things can damage your smile-a chip, a crack, discoloration, noticeable fillings in your front teeth, small gaps between teeth, that are uneven or fractured teeth. But still, there is a simple, pain-free and, long-lasting dental procedure that can restore the beauty of your smile. Bonding is a procedure involves placing a tooth-colored composite material.
Indications For Bonding :
- Close small gaps between front teeth.
- Repair chip and cracks.
- Conceal discoloration.
- Protect exposed roots caused by gum recession.
- Restore decayed teeth.
- Seal and protect children’s teeth from cavities.
- So, if there is a minor imperfection in your smile, ask your Dentist about tooth bonding. Usually, the Procedures can be completed in a single sitting.
CROWNS: Crowns, also called “ tooth caps”, are coverings that fit over the damaged teeth and restore each tooth to its normal shape and size, while both strengthening and improving its appearance. A crown could be made of natural looking porcelain/ceramic metals, acrylic or composite resins or a combination of any of these.
Indication for placing crowns:
- To restore fractured teeth.
- To protect weak teeth from fracturing.
- To support a large cavity filling when there isn’t enough tooth remaining.
- To conceal badly shaped or discolored teeth.
- To strengthen teeth following a root canal.
- To disguise extensive damage caused by decay.
- To attach a bridge.
- To cover a dental implant.
Veneers: Veneers are thin shells of porcelain which are bonded onto the front side of teeth and can be an excellent cosmetic solution for crooked, chipped, discolored or worn teeth.
Indication for placing Veneers:
- Repair damaged teeth.
- Correct gaps.
- Conceal discoloration.
- Corrects the shape and size of your mouth.
They resist permanent staining from coffee, tea, red wine, cigarette smoke, and even chewing tobacco. Veneers can last over a decade with regular care and maintenance. Plus, they look completely natural.
A New Smile- Your Key To Success
Cosmetic Dentistry is devoted to the improvement of smiles. During the consultation, your dentist evaluates your mouth, and recommends the best type of treatment for you, and thus crafting a more beautiful smile. It all begins with a smile.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a composite resin ( white filling)?
A composite resin is a tooth filling substance. It is a tooth-colored plastic mixture filled with glass ( silicon dioxide). Widely composites are used to restore decayed areas of the tooth. But they are also helpful for cosmetic improvements of the smile by changing the color of the teeth or reshaping disfigured teeth.
How is a composite placed?
The dentist prepares the solution and places the composite in layers. A special kind of light will be used to harden each layer. The dentist then shapes the composite to fit the tooth and finally polishes the composite to prevent staining and early wear.
How long does it take to place a composite?
Typically the procedure takes 10-20 minutes longer to place a composite than a silver filling. This duration depends on the size and location of the cavity- the larger the size, the longer it will take.
What are the advantages of composites?
Aesthetics are the main advantage since dentists can blend shades to create a color nearly identical to that of the actual tooth. It also helps the tooth to support the remaining tooth structure, preventing breakage and insulate the tooth from excessive temperature changes.
Need more advice?
10 out of 8 people in India requires smile improvement. If you are one among them don’t hesitate to take your first step to consult the dentist. The patients who opt the treatment are extremely happy after-effect says, Dr. Ankita Gada. For impartial advice visit the nearest Sabka dentist clinic for more help.