Dental bridgeA dental bridge is an artificial or false prosthesis i.e. fixed in place of missing tooth. Dental bridge has a pontic supported by adjacent natural teeth. It is typically made from material like porcelain that goes along with the natural color of teeth. At Sabka Dentist,Dental bridge treatment is carried out to replace the missing tooth or teeth at an affordable price.
Two main types of dental bridges:
Traditional dental bridgeA traditional dental bridge consists of an artificial or teeth being held in place by dental crowns that have been cemented onto each of the supportive teeth. A traditional bridge is the most popular type of dental bridge that can be used when you have natural teeth on both sides of the gap created by your missing tooth.
Implant-supported dental bridgeImplant-supported bridges use dental implants as opposed to crowns . Typically, one implant is surgically placed for every missing natural tooth, and these implants hold the bridge in proper position. If one implant for each missing tooth is not possible, the bridge may have a pontic suspended between two implant-supported crowns. Implant-supported bridges are considered the strongest and most stable system, it commonly requires two surgeries:
- one to enclose the implants in the jawbone
- a second surgery is to place the bridge
Why would I need the bridge?
1. Restore a confident smile:If you have a missing tooth especially in the visible area you may feel self-conscious and embarrassed. People may notice the gap often. So, bridging will be matched to the shade of the nearby teeth. It looks like the natural one.
2. Restore the ability to properly chew:A major factor in having a gap between teeth decreases the ability to eat certain foods. You will have the foods you ‘can’ eat rather than the foods you ‘want’ to eat. A bridge can restore the function of a natural tooth. It will help to restore the ability to properly chew.
3. Maintain the shape of your face:As the gap forms in the mouth remaining teeth start to move into the place. This changes the jaw alignment. Hence the face shape can change. To stop this negative change to happen dental bridges are a suitable alternative.
4. Speech problems:Your speech can be affected by gaps in your teeth. Pronouncing some words clearly can be difficult if you have a gap between teeth. You may also start spitting a little when you talk. However, fixing a bridge in the gap will help to replace the normal function.
5. Prevent remaining teeth from drifting out of position:Are you aware that gap may lead to teeth mispositioning? As soon as you have a gap in your mouth the adjacent teeth may begin to move into space. This may lead to teeth being out of their normal position, which can make them difficult to clean and so more risk from decay and gum disease.
What will my dentist do?
- Mouth impression will be taken using a soft moldable material. A dentist makes exact plaster models of your upper and lower teeth and gums, this helps to understand how your teeth bite together.
- The adjacent teeth will support the crown, so these teeth will be prepared to fix the crown.
- Another impression will be required to analyze any gaps. The dentist uses this to make the bridge. A temporary plastic bridge will be fitted in the meantime.
- At your final visit, the dentist will check the bridge fittings, make any minor adjustments and then fix it permanently in place. Your dentist will tell you about the best way of keeping the new bridge clean.
What are the benefits?
- It will help to improve the way you look, bite, and speak.
- The artificial tooth color can be matched with your natural teeth.
- A bridge can last for many years. But you must maintain its hygiene and keep it away from any accidental breakage.
Maintaining Your Dental Bridge
The dental bridge has cared like your natural teeth. It should be cleaned properly in between the teeth and bridges using a proxy brush or dental floss. Ensure you are properly brushing twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
Cleaning your bridge will help to prevent cavities. It also reduces the development of inflammation of the gum tissue. Please consult your dentist for a regular check-up and professional cleaning appointment.
Pain Level During and After the Procedure:
Generally, your dentist will use the local anesthetic, so you will not feel pain during the procedure. However, you will have to keep your mouth open for a few hours, so you may feel some discomfort in your jaw. After the treatment, the numbing feel may stay after a few hours. If you find soreness after the treatment you can also place an ice pack on the outside of your jaw.
What is the cost of the bridge?
Cost may depend on various things such as the type of the bridge and the required amount of treatment. You can see the price on our site. You can find the nearby clinic in your location and consult a dentist for a detailed quotation.