It is a very embarrassing feeling when there is a missing tooth in the mouth. Usually, the missing tooth is the result of the tooth removal or falling of the tooth. However, now you do not have to feel more awkward when there is a missing tooth. There are some dental treatments through which an artificial solution can be there for missing teeth. Tooth loss can occur to a person of any age group.
Why does tooth loss occur?
- The excess tooth decay destroys the whole tooth that makes it impossible to retain even though the treatments are like a root canal. Here, tooth removal is done through dental experts.
- A sudden injury can also cause tooth loss.
- Problems like gum disease makes the tooth loosen making it fall.
- In some cases, the growth of the wisdom tooth creates pain due to some reasons. Here, tooth removal becomes inevitable.
These are some of the common causes of tooth loss. The loss of the permanent tooth is lost forever, as they are the last set of teeth. So, some alternate ways need to be done for filling the gap at the missing tooth. Fixing an artificial tooth is the option to fill the gap of the missing tooth.
What are the alternative solutions for tooth loss?
Cosmetic dentistry can help you to get alternate solutions for tooth loss. These ways can give both functional and aesthetically pleasing results.
Here are some of the alternate solutions for tooth loss:
The denture can be considered as the way to deal with tooth loss. You can now get more comfortable dentures with a variety of designs, technology, and materials. It improves the chewing ability of the person more than before. There are two types of dentures: Partial dentures and Complete Dentures.
Partial dentures are used when only a few teeth are missing. These dentures are fixed with the support of the neighbouring teeth, so neighbouring teeth need to be stronger. Complete dentures are used when all the natural teeth of the person are missing. Here, a full set of artificial teeth are put in the mouth.
Pros of dentures:
- They are removable making them easier to replace or repair when needed.
- They are comparatively less expensive.
Cons of dentures:
- At the initial stage, wearing dentures is very uncomfortable.
- Cleaning of dentures must be done regularly that needs very careful handling.
Flippers are plastic teeth that are used temporarily. It can serve the purpose of the natural tooth for a temporary basis.
Pros of Flippers:
- They are easy to use, making them comfortable for the user.
Cons of Flippers:
- They being temporary in nature, they can be used for only a short period.
3. Dental bridge
Dental bridges are one of the permanent types of solution for missing teeth. They are mostly used when one or more teeth in a row are missing. They are basically a series of crowns.
Pros of dental bridge:
- They have a very proper look like natural teeth.
- They are cost-effective in comparison to other treatments like dental implants.
Cons of dental bridge:
- There needs to be the trimming of the neighbouring teeth to make the dental bridge fix properly.
- It is difficult to clean the tooth underneath the bridges.
4. Dental Implants
Dental Implants are one the well-known ways to get the solution for the missing tooth. Here, the artificial tooth is put in the place of the missing tooth. The root of this tooth is made of a titanium rod that is fitted up to the jawbone. Dental implants are one of the better solutions in the case of a single missing tooth. This gives a look at the natural tooth.
Pros of the dental implants:
- It is a permanent kind of solution that can last for a longer duration.
- There is no need to do any treatment like trimming the neighbouring teeth.
Cons of the dental implants:
- Dental implant process involves surgical treatment that needs healthy gums and overall health.
- Dental implants are one of the more expensive types of treatment compared to other treatment processes.
Do dental implants work like real teeth?
Many people find dental implants as one of the better ways to deal with missing tooth problems. Still, they are doubtful of its working like real teeth. However, dental implants can work very much like real teeth along with their appearance. They can help to eat the food properly than before and give an aesthetic look to the teeth.
How strong are permanent teeth compared to real teeth?
It is not possible to replace the sturdiness of healthy real teeth with any alternate solutions. Yes, choosing the proper treatment option can help you to get strong teeth.
So, as per the suitability and the budget, you can choose the treatment option for missing teeth. A sufficient strong foundation for the replacement tooth is very important for any treatment option.