Consequences of Edentulism
Before understanding Full Mouth Rehabilitation Concept, lets understand the consequences of edentulism which will help us motivate our patients for getting treated.1)Consequences on Bony structure:
- Decreased width and height of the supporting bone.
- Muscle attachment near the crest of the ridge, causing denture lifting.
- Prominent superior genial tubercles, causing sore spots under the denture.
- Parasthesia as the mandibular canal and mental foramen come closer to the crest of the ridge.
- Increases the changes of lower jaw fracture as the bone is thinning out.
- Decreased facial height.
- Loss of tone in muscles of facial expression.
- Deepening of the nasiolabial groove.
- Chin rotates forward,giving a prognathic appearance.
- Decrease in the fullness of the lips.
- Tongue increases in size and has increased role in mastication, thereby reducing the stability of denture.
- Unattached mucosa for denture support causes increase sore spots.
- Embarrassment with unstable dentures in the mouth.
- Dissatisfaction with aging appearance ,low self -esteem.
- Avoiding social contact.
- Speech gets unclear.
- Emotionally disturbed, as difficulty in chewing food and indigestion.