What is the purpose of a complete overdenture?
The Overdenture procedure can be ideal for people who are currently suffering from certain conditions like cleft palate, Oligodontia, Cleidocranial Dysostosis, and Class III occlusion. It is mainly for people who are gradually losing one or many teeth due to some gum diseases
. An overdenture procedure is the safest procedure as it does not use any adhesive to fix the implant it to the gum, rather it uses some anchoring system that is being attached either to the gum or to the teeth itself.
As a whole, overdenture helps in better functioning of teeth and gums, especially if compared with those of normal dentures. Ordinary dentures are not very stable and may require refitting in the future. In fact, gum remodeling is not possible with this procedure. Overdentures are removable and sustainably used so that it can provide support to the underlying bone for a long time. This is the reason overdentures are made up of acrylic materials.
Some of the other notable benefits of having overdentures are-
- Overdentures that are attached with some adhesive might not be stable enough, but overdentures that are being attached with screws are quite stable and long-lasting. This provides improved stability of the gums and that lets you chew your food thoroughly. This, in turn, results in the breakdown of food particles and promotes better digestion.
- If you experience the worst tooth loss, then the natural process of shrinking jaw might change your appearance by shrinking the space between chin and nose. This shrinking can be avoided by undergoing an Overdenture procedure.
- After undergoing the implant Overdenture procedure, the jaw bone gets stimulated constantly either by natural teeth or by the dental implants. With this stimulation process, the gum will stop shrinking and you can restore your facial structure.
- If the dentures are attached with adhesives, then that they may start moving while talking or chewing and create unnecessary pain and bruising. Attaching overdenture with implants is more secure and stable and eliminates any chances of embarrassment.
What are the types of Overdenture Treatment?
There are three most common types of Overdenture procedure-
- Gum Supported implant – In this treatment, the overdentures are placed on the gums and attached with the upper and/or lower jaws. The removable overdenture is safely attached to the implants through retentive attachments and amalgamated into the denture. The underlying tissues and bones support the dentures and require minimum care for most of the patients.
- Implant overdenture supported to a bar- The overdentures are attached to the metal bar that is again secured with the implants. This might be attached to both the lower and upper jaw and can be removed if required.
- Fixed implant overdenture – In single implant overdenture treatment, the overdenture and the bar are fixed on the same jaw forming a single framework. This framework is attached to the jaw with a screw that can only be removed by dental surgeons.
- Tooth supported overdenture – Tooth retained overdenture can also be attached to the teeth or to the dental implants. This can be a better option as it does not include extraction of the persisting teeth and this process may create anxiety among some people. A tooth-supported overdenture retains some of the canines permanently. However, before undergoing a tooth-supported overdenture procedure, it is very important to perform a root canal treatment first. After that, the metal bar is attached individually with the base of the overdenture and the attachment is placed securely. This procedure can be applied for both the upper and lower jaw.
Do not forget to maintain proper oral hygiene after undergoing an overdenture procedure as that may start developing certain issues like cavities and other gum diseases. Patients undergoing this procedure are instructed to remove dentures at night and clean them thoroughly. Following the surgeon’s instructions and regular checkups can ensure patients to get healthy oral hygiene.
Am I the right candidate?
The ideal candidates for undergoing an overdenture procedure can be both men and women who are currently struggling with tooth loss. Any person who treasures a healthy gum tissue and jawbone can undergo this procedure. Now, the extent of the procedure typically depends on the number of tooth loss. If a person loses only one or two teeth, then undergoing an overdenture procedure might not be very apt, but people with major tooth loss might consider overdenture as the best procedure. Therefore, the number of teeth that you have lost will determine which procedure to undergo.
- If you are suffering from some specific gum diseases, then there are high chances that your teeth may start falling out. This procedure can be slowed down or stopped with proper medical intervention. However, if most of the teeth start falling out then it would be the best idea to use some replacement teeth like overdenture.
- One or more than one missing teeth can actually disturb the entire jaw shape and a full set of teeth. In such a case, dental implants are the best when it comes to maintaining natural teeth. According to most dentists, using overdenture is actually the best budget-friendly option. Even though it is not at all similar to natural teeth, but when it comes to feeling comfortable, it is probably the best option.
- People with decayed teeth may also feel the need of undergoing an overdenture procedure because waiting for a long time after losing teeth can lead to moving and drifting of the existing teeth to the empty space.
- Finally, people who do not feel confident with their appearance may also choose to undergo an overdenture procedure. It would be the best idea to discuss every little thing with your dentist and get the best option.
How much does Overdentures cost?
Just like any other cosmetic procedure, it is very difficult to assess the exact implant overdenture cost. If you want to know the exact cost of this procedure, then consulting with a dentist is probably the best option. The exact price can only be known after proper diagnosis of the condition and then they create a customized treatment plan which can help calculate the cost more accurately.
The overall implant overdenture cost is dependent on many factors like the quality of implants and replacements used the extent of the treatment area, surgeon’s fees, location of the clinic and the latest technologies used. In some cases, the cost of undergoing an overdenture procedure may also be covered by insurance. If you are not sure about it, then it is compulsory to consult about it to your insurance agent.
How can Sabka dentist help?
If you are searching for “overdenture near me”, then Sabka Clinic is the best option. Sabka Dentist Clinic is not just a simple clinic; it is one of the largest chains of dental clinics in India that is spread around the five most important cities in India like Mumbai, Pune, Surat, Ahmadabad, and even Bangalore. There are over 500 dentists working under one roof who are treating millions and millions of patients under one roof. According to some stat reports, Sabka Dentist has conducted more than one lakh root canal procedure, implant surgeries and a lot more.
The dentists in the Sabka Dentist clinic have vast experience and are adept at performing most of the dental treatments efficiently. The Clinic’s main aim is to provide most affordable implant overdenture cost to treat maximum number of people. They also make sure that the patients walk out of the clinic with a happy and delightful face. The services that they provide are based on honesty, integrity and middle-class values and concentrate on escalating the quality of life.