Suffering from on and off toothache? And what if this sudden pain arises in the middle of the night, what will you do? It’s practically terrible, as it will not let you even sleep for a minute peacefully.
Even though you may be very conscious about your oral health and follow the routine of brushing twice a day but still sometimes you must have end up with a lot of dental issues and pain. We know, it’s unbearable pain.
In such a situation, obviously you will look out for a dentist but in the meantime, you can adopt and try some below remedies for tooth pain relief instantly. And as mentioned, if this sudden pain erupts at night, we believe you must be ready to handle the emergency at least till the morning and provide you some instant relief.
Some instant options to get rid of tooth pain at the night
- Use over the counter (OTC) pain relievers – For children, you may give them acetaminophen, as that is the one recommended by the dentist for them. For adults, you can choose any one of them from ibuprofen or aspirin. Please, don’t put the aspirin on your tooth directly and instead you must swallow it, the former one is harmful.
- Use paste or gels – You can also simply use numbing gels or pastes also containing benzocaine. It will help you suppress the pain and sleep for the rest of the night or otherwise too continue for the day. Keep in mind to not provide these gels and pastes to your kids if they are below the age of 2.
- Keep your head in an elevated position – The position of your head must be higher than your whole body, keep it propped up. This will lower the gush of blood passing through your head rapidly which can otherwise cause the pain to intensify and cause more pain.
- Avoid the consumption of acidic, hard or cold foods at night – If you have been suffering from mild tooth pain during the day or otherwise too you can avoid intake of these foods as it has the potential to aggravate the cavities and thereby pain.
Home remedies for tooth pain relief
Other than above treatments, some other home remedies for the tooth ache which you can opt for given below.
- Rinse with Saltwater – Gargle with warm salt water and swish it all around in your mouth until you get to the dentist, it will help you to remove the food debris which is struck between the teeth or inside the teeth.
- Use an ice pack – Rest the ice pack wrapped in a cloth on the side of the cheek where it’s painful. This will help you numb the pain.
- Clean or rinse your mouth with a mouthwash – Always keep a mouthwash handy and use it. In case of toothache, you can use an alcohol-based mouthwash to remove the bacteria and dull the pain.
- Clove oil – It is a therapeutic remedy to numb the pain. You may directly rub the clove oil on the sore area or cotton ball soaked in oil can dabbed against the tooth and gums. Its effectiveness is similar to the benzocaine or the pastes and gels used for tooth pain relief.
- Garlic – The garlic clove is crushed, it releases allicin. It is an oily liquid and natural fighter for diseases, but will it help you to numb the pain? You may give it a try by chewing a garlic clove or chop it into small pieces and put them on the tooth which is aching. Don’t worry, its completely safe, you may opt according to your liking of garlic.
- Ice – On the side of the sore teeth of your body, on that side of your hand put some ice and rub it between your forefinger and thumb for around 7 mins or until that area falls numb. This is based on the findings of researchers which say ice has the quality to stop sending pain signals to your brain. Do try it.
If you are suffering from bleeding gums, then you may take a tea bag and soak it in the water for some time. Once it’s damp, squeeze out the excess water from the tea bag and press it over your bleeding gums for quick relief.
All these remedies are for time being to help you get instant relief from pain. It’s important to look for the dentist and find out the root cause of the tooth pain, as it should not result in further dental complications. For better and preventive care, visit a dentist every 6 months. This is the mantra to keep many dental pains and complications far away and enjoy good oral health.
For any further queries, call Sabka Dentist, we are here to keep your beautiful smile intact!