- Eating or drinking chilled things
- Eating or drinking hot things
- Intake of excess of sweets
Sensitive Teeth CausesDentinal tubules are microscopic tubular structures in the dentin layer of your teeth. Their number is in thousands and they radiate centrifugally from the pulp. If there is any change in plasma like fluid in your dentinal tubules, then this can cause mechanoreceptors. These are present on the nerves, which results in pain in the form of teeth sensitivity. The people who are suffering from tooth sensitivity for them as mentioned these triggers can come from physical force, cold or hot drinks. Exposure of dentin can also result in sensitive teeth. Various causes of dentin exposures are:
- Brushing your teeth very harshly/Wrong techniques of brushing teeth
- Poor oral dental care or hygiene
- Intake of acidic foods very frequently or consumption of acidic liquids
- Gum surgery exposing tooth’s roots
- Receding gums (Gingival Recession) can also expose the tooth’s roots
- Untreated cavities
- Worn out tooth for a long time (Erosion/Abrasion), Tooth erosion can be causes by high intake of acidic foods or Bulimia, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease(GERD), GERD is basically a digestive disorder in which the acidic fluids, foods and juices from your stomach back up to your oesophagus.
- Leak or crack in an old filling (micro-leakage)
- Smoking of Tobacco
- Dental Bleaching
- Decay of your teeth or Infection
- Newly filled tooth
- Excessive force from grinding or clenching (Bruxism)
- Broken or cracked tooth
- Dr. Reena Waghela Dental Director of Sabka dentist says “Sensitive teeth are very common, and their solutions are also very simple like using desensitizing toothpaste, proper brushing techniques, good dietary habits to strengthen teeth etc.”
- Dr. Rupali Gujar Dental Director of Sabka dentist says “Sensitivity is a sharp intolerable pain although temporary, but its worst kind of pain is caused due to either cold or hot intake of any foods or drinks.”
- Dr. Jena Shah Dental Director of Sabka dentist says “If the sensitivity persists for a few weeks, it’s advisable to look for a dentist as its underlying root causes are many which can overall be harmful for your teeth.”
Home Remedies for sensitive Teeth
Generally, people look for home remedies to first treat the sensitive teeth and below given solution may help you relieve the pain in some manner. Have a look
- Desensitizing toothpaste – You may use Sensodyne toothpaste. It contains potassium nitrate. The basic function of potassium is to hyperpolarize the nerves and stop its stimulus and causing pain. Hence, it desensitizes the nerve and blocks the pain to surface.
You can even GC Tooth Mousse Plus, its very effective but please use this one only if you are directed by your dentist. It containscasein phosphopeptide–amorphous calcium phosphate-nanocomplexes (CPP-ACP) and fluoride, which helps to buffer free phosphate and calcium ions. Now, they help to keep up supersaturated state that prohibits demineralization and encourages remineralization.
- Replace your brush if it has hard bristles with a soft one. Buy a soft bristled brush.
- Evade food and drinks which are extremely acidic in nature.
- Use a mouth wash which has fluoride.
- In case suffering from Clenching/Grinding of the teeth as called Bruxism, you can use a Mouthguard
- Usage of gel or varnish containing fluoride
Tooth Sensitivity Treatment
You may also visit a professional dentist to treat the sensitive teeth. The pain caused by sensitive teeth is unbearable, we know it and if you are suffering from it, you may directly even reach for a professional treatment. Also, if it lasts for a longer duration or more than a few weeks, you must fix an appointment with a good dentist.
The dentist will help you to decide whether your sensitive teeth will be treated with simple remedies or you may have to opt for a treatment.
Some treatments for Sensitive teeth are
- Bonding Treatment – This procedure will be helpful if you have a broken or cracked tooth. As mentioned, broken or cracked teeth can be one of the causes for sensitive teeth. It is a very simple procedure where your dentist will apply a tooth coloured composite resin to the tooth which is damaged. It is also very cost efficient and not expensive at all.
- Crown restoration/Inlay restoration – This treatment involves capping completely or covering a tooth or your dental implant. Such a procedure is normally advised by the dentist when you’re suffering from sensitive teeth due to cavities.
- Gum Graft – It is basically gum augmentation or a kind of periodontal surgery. It is for root coverage. It is a simple surgery in which your periodontist will remove the healthy gum tissues from the roof of your mouth and attach it where your gums have receded for rebuild. Sensitive teeth due to gingival recession or receding gums can opt for this treatment.
These are some of the treatments required in case of severe sensitive teeth and all of them are very simple as Tooth sensitivity is a common problem and procedures are available by many being low cost and giving long term benefits and relief from sensitive teeth.
For any further queries, call us and Sabka Dentist is happy to hear them!