- Dr. Zita Antao Dental Director of Sabka dentist says “It is necessary to take an appropriate care of braces, along with a perfect diet.”
- Dr. Ankita Gada Dental Director of Sabka dentist says “Patients who wear braces are given guidelines about what to eat and what to avoid to get the best results about the braces.”
What Are Some Foods to Avoid while wearing Braces?It includes two categories of food you should know, when braces are on
- Food that can be easily cut down
- Food that is light and can easily be swallowed straight inside the throat.
Here, are some food items that should be Eliminated From Your Diet
- Hard Candy – Candy contains high level of sugar that is not only bad for health, but also for the teeth and specially during braces. Chewing a hard candy can ruin you braces appliances.
- Sticky Foods – Sticky food has starch that is not good for the stomach as well as for the mouth. It tends to get caught in the braces that makes the cleaning process a tough one. Avoid chewing gum, caramel, peanut butter, maple syrup, and etc.
- Inedibles – People have a habit of chewing pen and fingernails unconsciously that can damage the braces.
Foods To Avoid With BracesIt is necessary to take care of what you eat and what not, Here are the following things that has to be avoided.
- Other Hard Foods – Hard food includes, pizza crust, nuts, carrots, that require force to bite. It can damage the wire and brackets. Boil the vegetables can make it soft and easy to chew.
- Ice – Biting of ice will loosen the bracket and spoil the condition of the appliances. Hence, avoid chewing the ice so that the teeth are in the appropriate stage.
- Raw vegetables and fruits
- Soft Fruits like Grapefruits, nectarines, kiwi, tangerines
- Vegetables like boiled carrots
- Dairy Products like Yogurt and cheddar cheese
- Desserts like Pudding, applesauce, smoothies, ice cream
- Soft Grains like boiled pasta, boiled rice
- Soft Breads like Tortillas, biscuits, muffins, and pancakes
Strenthening Of the TeethThe brackets are cemented to the surface of the tooth, called the enamel. It is assumed that stronger the enamel will be the longer the stability of the braces will be there. It keeps the area around the brackets clean and clear of food that will help to preserve your teeth and your braces. So, consider adding the following to your “braces diet“:
- Calcium-rich foods – Milk, yogurt, boiled broccoli, lae, okra, and tofu can be added to the menu.
- Protein-rich foods – Eggs, beans, and meats are the protein that can be eaten and also the protein shake will help you to get the best taste.
- Cheese – cheese are good sources of getting highest calcium, it also reduces the acid inside the mouth, avoiding further decay and loss of teeth.
Get More Braces AdviceWearing braces is not as easy as you see it, whether you are a kid or an adult. It is necessary to follow a strict diet to keep your mouth away from the dental problems. Eating good food while braces are worn will give a positive results to your mouth. So, if you are wearing braces or planning to get the braces treatment, make sure to think about the diet that is necessary to maintain to get the optimise results.
- How Do Braces Work? Clear Aligners, Lingual Braces & Self Ligating Braces
- Cleaning and care for your retainer