Eating with braces is quite a tricky task. Braces are characterized to help the teeth to get a better and more beautiful smile that runs for a long time. But, while wearing it on it is quite difficult to maintain, and hence, a little harder effort has to be taken to practice good oral health.
While braces are worn, it is difficult to brush and floss in such a case the teeth are affected. And hence it is necessary to be aware of what you eat while braces are on. So in future if you’re wearing braces make a trip to the orthodontist to get a consultation towards the braces-friendly diet.
What Are Some Foods to Avoid while wearing Braces?
It is not possible to eat all the food while getting the clear braces treatment. Some hard foods might impact the braces and the teeth positions. So, some of the foods to avoid with clear braces are sticky foods like chewing gum and peanut butter, hard foods like nuts and carrots. Apart from these avoid all food that is hard to chew.
It includes two categories of food you should know when braces are on
- Food that can be easily cut down
- Food that is light and can easily be swallowed straight inside the throat.
Here, are some food items that should be Eliminated From Your Diet
- Hard Candy – Candy contains high level of sugar that is not only bad for health, but also for the teeth and specially during braces. Chewing a hard candy can ruin you braces appliances.
- Sticky Foods – Sticky food has starch that is not good for the stomach as well as for the mouth. It tends to get caught in the braces that making the cleaning process a tough one. Avoid chewing gum, caramel, peanut butter, maple syrup, etc.
- Inedibles – People have a habit of chewing pen and fingernails unconsciously that can damage the braces.
Foods To Avoid With Braces
It is necessary to take care of what you eat and what not, here are the following things that has to be avoided.
- Other Hard Foods – Hard food includes, pizza crust, nuts, carrots, that require force to bite. It can damage the wire and brackets. Boil the vegetables can make it soft and easy to chew.
- Ice – Biting of ice will loosen the bracket and spoil the condition of the appliances. Hence, avoid chewing the ice so that the teeth are in the appropriate stage.
Finally, here are some foods that are right to eat when braces are worn braces, Those include :
- Raw vegetables and fruits
Foods That Are OK when you are wearing Braces. Every soft food is ok to eat during braces. But, it is necessary to cut it down into pieces that makes the chewing process easy.
Soft foods during braces treatment include:
- Soft Fruits like Grapefruits, nectarines, kiwi, tangerines
- Vegetables like boiled carrots
- Dairy Products like Yogurt and cheddar cheese
- Desserts like Pudding, applesauce, smoothies, ice cream
- Soft Grains like boiled pasta, boiled rice
- Soft Breads like Tortillas, biscuits, muffins, and pancakes
Strenthening Of the Teeth
The brackets are cemented to the surface of the tooth, called the enamel. It is assumed that stronger the enamel will be the longer the stability of the braces will be there. It keeps the area around the brackets clean and clear of food that will help to preserve your teeth and your braces.
So, consider adding the following to your “braces diet“:
- Calcium-rich foods – Milk, yogurt, boiled broccoli, lae, okra, and tofu can be added to the menu.
- Protein-rich foods – Eggs, beans, and meats are the protein that can be eaten and also the protein shake will help you to get the best taste.
- Cheese – cheese are good sources of getting highest calcium, it also reduces the acid inside the mouth, avoiding further decay and loss of teeth.
Get More Braces Advice
Wearing braces is not as easy as you see it, whether you are a kid or an adult. It is necessary to follow a strict diet to keep your mouth away from the dental problems. Eating good food while braces are worn will give a positive results to your mouth.
So, if you are wearing braces or planning to get the braces treatment, make sure to think about the diet that is necessary to maintain to get the optimise results.
Foods To Eat When Getting Braces
Getting the braces treatment is not that easy, as one has to take care with respect to different aspects. There are many restrictions on the food while going through this treatment. Some foods to eat when getting braces treatment are Cakes, mashed potatoes, Ice creams, Soups, soft fruits, and other such soft food items.
Liquid Diet For Braces
When you start with the braces treatment, having a liquid diet for a few days is better for an individual. The liquid diet for braces like juices, soups, ice creams, etc. can be soft on teeth.
Best Food To Eat After Braces
An individual needs to avoid some foods while going through the braces treatment. The food which is soft and does not need the pressure to chew is better to eat. Some best foods to eat after braces are mashed potatoes, soups, ice creams, cakes, soft fruits, etc. One can prefer any food that is soft and easy to chew while eating.
- How Do Braces Work? Clear Aligners, Lingual Braces & Self Ligating Braces
- Cleaning and care for your retainer