Dental Pit & Fissure Sealants Treatment & Cost
Are Dental Sealants necessary?
How is Sealant applied to the teeth?
The pit fissure sealant procedure is a quick and painless technique that is mostly undergone by patients who are prone to develop pit and fissure caries in their back teeth. These resin sealants require a phosphoric acid “etchant” to create micro-porosities into which the sealant material can flow to increase retention, surface area and the strength of the bond between the sealant and the tooth surface. Etching time takes around 15 to 60 seconds. After that, the tooth is rinsed and dried thoroughly for 15 to 20 seconds. Chalky appearance on the dried tooth means the tooth has been properly etched.
The sealant is then placed into the prepared pits and fissures of the teeth. The material is left for 10 seconds prior to curing to allow penetration of the sealant material into the pores that are created by the etching procedure.
Finally, the sealant is hardened by a curing light, which usually takes 20 to 30 seconds.
Unlike a filling, there is no need for administration of local anaesthesia and no drilling is required.
What materials are used for fissure sealants?
There are different types of sealants that are used in a dental fissure treatment procedure. This liquid material is placed on a smooth surface of the tooth and then dried up to form a hard coating over the teeth. The sealants must have less viscosity to let this liquid flow into the pits and fissures of the tooth.
Following are the most common types of sealants used-
- Composite Resin
- Polyacid modified Resins
- Resin Modified Glass Ionomers
Teeth sealant cost varies according to the type of sealant.
What to expect after undergoing a pit fissure sealant procedure?
After undergoing a pit fissure sealant procedure, it is very important for the patients to keep their teeth clean and maintain healthy oral hygiene. Patients face no difficulty in brushing their teeth as the bristles of the brush can reach all the surfaces of the teeth. The sealant forms a tough shield over the molars that can protect the surface of the teeth from decay.
Usually, the pit and fissure sealants last long for about five years or more but in some cases, patients may find sealant coming out within 6 months. Then it would be the best idea to visit a dentist and follow the instructions provided by them. In fact, it is important to visit a dentist frequently for a checkup to make sure that the sealant is in great condition.
What is the main importance of dental sealants?
Pit and fissure sealant procedure is one of the simplest and the most effective way of preventing tooth decay in children. The procedure provides extra protection to the occlusal surface of chewing teeth and prevents bacterial attack. This dental procedure does not involve any risk and is inexpensive. However, only a few exceptions state that this procedure may include an allergic reaction. Under such situations, it is best to follow the instructions provided by the surgeon.
The best part of undergoing a pit and fissure sealant procedure is that it is a permanent procedure. However, to maintain the best of its results, it is very important for the patients to maintain healthy oral hygiene.
What post – operative instructions should you follow after placement of Dental Sealants?
Sealants provide long-lasting effect but it is important for each and every patient to follow the post-op instructions provided by the surgeon. These instructions include maintaining healthy oral hygiene by brushing teeth twice daily. The patients must use toothpaste that contains fluoride and also avoid having sugar, chocolates, candies or even chewing gum as that may hamper the sealant. Immediately after undergoing the procedure, the patients may feel uncomfortable for the first few days.
How much do dental sealants cost in Mumbai & 4 other cities?
The dental sealant procedure is an easy process that involves the treatment of tooth cavities, pits, and fissures. Dentists can usually execute this simple and pain-free procedure in a dental clinic within a few hours. Patients can go back home on the same day of undergoing the treatment procedure. The exact dental sealant cost cannot be estimated as it depends on the type of sealant used. The overall cost of the procedure depends on a number of factors like the number of teeth to be treated, the type of sealant used, surgeon’s fees and the geographic location of the clinic. It is only a dentist who can calculate the exact cost of the procedure only after diagnosing the condition and incorporating all the patient’s requirements under one treatment plan. Sabka dentist dental clinics provide best dental sealants cost in Mumbai, Pune, Ahmedabad, Surat & Bangalore.
How can Sabka Dentist help?
If you are suffering from acute dental problems, then Sabka Dentist is always at your service. In this clinic, you will always be guaranteed with the best dental treatment and post-procedure care. This is because the dentists and staff of the clinic share the same agenda.
- Get affordable services only at Sabka Dentist- It is the clinic’s choice of providing absolutely affordable dental care treatment plans to their patients. The dentist always provides the right treatment option and clearly explains the patient every single detail about the procedure that they are undergoing. Additionally, the clinic also provides different payment options and zero percent finance for certain treatment procedures.
- Achieve quality dental care- Anyone looking for a routine dental checkup plan can visit Sabka Dentist for once to relish the best quality dental care procedure. The dentists and staff present in the clinic are handpicked based on their qualifications and years of experience. There is no doubt that Sabka Dentist can provide the best services to individual patients and help them maintain healthy teeth and gum so that each patient can smile with confidence.
- Excellent patient care- Sabka Dentist prioritizes patient satisfaction, so they treat each patient with customized treatment. The dentists here are no doubt professional, but they do not run after money. They try communicating with each patient and imbibe a sense of positivity within them. The staff tries their best to make the patients feel comfortable and relaxed in every visit. The clinic maintains absolute hygiene standards and encourages a friendly ambiance that makes the patient feel good after undergoing any treatment procedure.
- Patient confidentiality- Sabka Dentist maintains absolute patient confidentiality on a priority basis and this helps to maintain a long-term relationship with patients.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What causes fissures on teeth?
What is the purpose of fissure sealants?
How do you use fissure sealant?
- Tray set up with sealant
- Teeth Isolation to control moisture and prevent salivary contamination.
- Enameloplasty/ Use of slurry of pumice and water/ air abrasion to increase surface area
- Acid etching agent is applied to the occlusal tooth surface using etchant applicator. Etching time should not extend beyond 30 seconds.
- Rinse and dry the etched tooth surface
- Application of bonding agent
- Application of sealant
- Cure the sealant.
- Evaluate the occlusion.
How long do pit and fissure sealants last?
Do sealants help prevent cavities?
What materials are used for fissure sealants?
- Resin modified glass ionomer sealants: Fourth generation resin based sealants release fluoride, that significantly aid in reducing secondary caries and improving caries resistance.
- Composite sealants: They are unfilled, light-cured resin material, that fill microcracks, marginal gaps, and also release fluoride.