Root Canal Treatment
What is a root canal?
A root canal is a dental treatment that repairs badly damaged infected tooth. The “Root canal” word comes from cleaning of canals inside the tooth’s root. The procedure involves removing the infected pulp from the tooth and replacing it with an artificial inert called as root canal filling.The common cause that affects the pulp are cracked tooth, a deep cavity, repeated dental treatment to the tooth or trauma.
What to Expect During a ROOT CANAL TREATMENT?
If you think you need a root canal, consult the dentist. Several steps occur over a few dentist visits.
- X-ray – if a dentist informs that you may need a root canal, they will first take X-rays or examine existing X-rays to show where the decay is located.
- Anesthesia – local anesthesia will be injected near the are of affected tooth. Contrary to popular belief of “root canal treatment is painful”, a root canal treatment at Sabka dentist is no more painful than a filling.
- Pulpectomy – an opening is made inside the infected tooth and the diseased pulp is removed.
- Filling – the roots opened are filled with gutta-percha material and sealed off with cement.
Root Canal Treatment Procedure
Root canal treatment is required in cases when the infection enters the nerve of the tooth. In Root Canal Treatment the dentist opens up the tooth so that they can access the Root Canal which houses the nerve and then cleans or removes the nerve so that the tooth becomes lifeless without the nerve. It is very important to ensure that the cleaning of the root canal is done with a lot of diligence and focus, as a small amount of infected material if not cleaned may cause the infection to relapse. The dentist has to take the work of root canal treatment vigorously.
After completing the cleaning of the infected tooth, the root canal is then filled with a rubber-based material called Gutta Percha. Gutta Percha is used for filling the root canal of the infected tooth during the root canal treatment because it is a material which is bio-compatible. This process of filling the root canal with the Gutta Percha is called obturation. After the filling part of the root canal treatment is done, the tooth has to be crowned or capped.
When would you need a Root Canal treatment?
- Persistent toothache.
- Tooth decay or deep cavities.
- Broken tooth / discolored teeth.
- Swollen gum near the tooth.
- Tooth hurts when you bite down on it, touch it or push it.
- Tender gums or teeth.
- An untreated cavity leading to pulp infection.
Visit Sabka dentist to get rid of such diseases by experiencing the root canal treatment.
Is Root canal painful after?
Pain after the root canal is normal for a few days. A root canal is carried out by deep cleaning inside the canals of your tooth, which is why it is normal to experience mild to moderate pain for a few days after root canal
Remedies to follow after the root canal treatment-
Once the Root canal treatment is done there are a few things to follow and they are:
- Avoid eating hard food for a few days.
- Try eating soft food like ice-cream, soups and fruit juices
- Start brushing your teeth twice a day
- Start reducing the amount of sugary food in your daily diet.