Wisdom Tooth Extraction
What is wisdom tooth?
Wisdom teeth are the last molars in the human dentition. Usually, the tooth come at age 17-20. The tooth called wisdom tooth because it comes in much-matured age. however, they do not have any role in the food biting process.They can be seen or spotted through the X- ray. At Sabka Dentist X-ray is done free of cost.
What is wisdom tooth extraction?
Wisdom tooth extraction is a surgical procedure to remove impacted tooth which is placed at the back. If an impacted wisdom tooth causes pain or other oral issues the dentist will advise to remove the tooth.
Reason Why people prefer removing the wisdom tooth
- They’re impacted. Because they’re so far back in the mouth, wisdom teeth may not come in normally. They can be trapped in the jawbone or gums, which can be painful.
- They come in at the wrong angle. They may press against the other teeth.
- Your mouth isn’t big enough. The jaw has no room for an extra set of molars.
- You have cavities or gum disease. It may not be able to reach your wisdom teeth with your toothbrush or dental floss.
How to know if I need wisdom tooth extraction?Usually, wisdom tooth is associated with the following issues. You can relate to them if you have any one of these:
- Pain: When an impacted wisdom tooth tries to come out, the top of the gum can become infected and swollen. At this time you will feel the pain . You will start to recognize the pain in nearby areas such as surrounding teeth, face and neck.
- Infection: The flapping causes injury in the gums. It not only hurts, but also causes infection in gums. Gum disease is the risk associated with such infections.
- Food straining: Wisdom tooth grow at the end of your mouth. The food you chew usually sticks between the corner of the tooth. Hence it increases the risk of building cavity.
- Tooth misalignment: When wisdom teeth do not have much space,they start to push the tooth beside them. Majorly people who had orthodontic treatment are victim to this. You can see your doctor immediately if you find any misalignment is happening.
What is the use of wisdom tooth?
This tooth helped human ancestors to grind plant-based tissue. But as humans evolved our diet changed. The soft diet made the jaws less forwarded growth. This adverse effect resulted in lesser space for wisdom tooth.
What is the process of wisdom tooth extraction?
When you visit the clinic the dentist will thoroughly check your mouth. The examination allows them to understand the complexity of the case. Then he/she will start the treatment
According to the case’s complexity the dentist will decide the anaesthesia. Before applying anaesthesia the dentist will apply numbing gel to the gum. Then the anaesthesia injection will be given. At this point you may experience a slight pinch.
- Tooth Extraction:
when you start to feel whole numbness in the jaw and cheek area the dentist will extract the wisdom tooth. You will not experience pain while removing the tooth. But you may feel little pulling pressure. The dentist will place a medicated gauze against the extracted wound to stop the blood flow.
After extraction, the numbness may stay for 30 minutes to 2 hours. You may feel little or no pain after the extraction. Your doctor may advise you to stop chewing the food in that jaw side. Apart from this, you can do your normal activities.
How can I manage pain after the treatment?
- Bleeding management: Blood flow is a common effect after an extraction. Stop excessive spitting during this time. Placing a gauze over the extraction site can help to relieve the blood flow.
- Pain management: Pain after an extraction is one of the unavoidable features. Your dentist will prescribe necessary painkillers. Normal pain will be solved by painkillers. If you still have the pain you can contact Sabka Dentist Clinic regarding the pain problem.
- Swelling and bruising: Swelling of your cheeks usually improves in two or three days. You can use an ice pack as directed by the dentist.
What can I consume after the treatment?
- Beverages: Drinking lots of water helps to cure the extraction wounds. Avoid alcohol and caffeinated drinks in the first 24 hours of the treatment. Don’t drink with the straw. Drinking with a straw may lead to dislodging the blood clot from the chamber.
- Food: Soft food consumption is advised during the first 2-3 days. You can start to eat semi-soft food when you can tolerate them. Hard chewy foods can be stuck in the wound and irritate the extracted area.
When to call your dentist or surgeon:
- When you feel difficulty in breathing and swallowing
- Excessive bleeding
- When you feel severe pain even after having the painkillers
- If you find swelling is not curing after 2-3 days.
- Pus in the extracted area
How to find a Dentist?
At all Sabka dentist clinics, Wisdom tooth extraction treatment is available. You can find the nearest clinic to your location in our site. Or you can call us directly to book an appointment.