Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Why are wisdom teeth called wisdom teeth?Wisdom teeth are the last molars in the human dentition. Usually, these teeth erupt at age 17-20. It is called as wisdom tooth because it erupts at a matured age. However, they do not have any role in the food biting process.They can be seen or spotted through the X- ray. At Sabka Dentist X-ray is done free of cost.
What does wisdom tooth extraction involve?Wisdom tooth extraction is a surgical procedure to remove impacted tooth which is placed at the back. If an impacted wisdom tooth causes pain or other oral issues the dentist will advise to remove the tooth.
What is the reason for removing wisdom teeth?
- They’re impacted. Because they’re so far back in the mouth, wisdom teeth may not come in normally. They can be trapped in the jawbone or gums, which can be painful.
- They come in at the wrong angle. They may press against the other teeth.
- Your mouth isn’t big enough. The jaw has no room for an extra set of molars.
- You have cavities or gum disease. It may not be able to reach your wisdom teeth with your toothbrush or dental floss.
What does an impacted wisdom tooth feel like?Usually, wisdom tooth is associated with the following issues. You can relate to them if you have any one of these:
- Pain: When an impacted wisdom tooth tries to come out, the top of the gum can become infected and swollen. At this time you will feel the pain. You will start to recognize the referred pain in nearby areas such as surrounding teeth, ear etc.
- Pericoronitis: Inflammation of gingival flap around wisdom teeth is common.
- Food impaction: Due to hindmost positioning of wisdom teeth, food impaction is common here. Hence it increases the risk of building cavity.
- Tooth misalignment: When wisdom teeth do not have much space,they start to push the teeth beside them.
What is the use of wisdom tooth?
This tooth helped human ancestors to grind plant-based tissue. But as humans evolved our diet changed. The soft diet made the jaws less forwarded growth. This adverse effect resulted in lesser space for wisdom tooth.
How do they remove impacted wisdom teeth?
When you visit the clinic the dentist will thoroughly check your mouth. The examination allows them to understand the complexity of the case. Then he/she will start the treatment
- Anaesthesia: Before having wisdom teeth removal, you’ll be given an infusion of anesthesia nearby to numb the tooth and encompassing zone.
In case you’re especially restless about the methodology, your dental specialist or specialist may give you a narcotic to enable you to unwind. This will for the most part be an infusion into your arm.
General sedative is seldom required for shrewdness tooth evacuation. It’s possibly sometimes utilized when the strategy is completed in an emergency clinic. Nonetheless, for this situation, you should in any case have the option to return home on a similar day as the method.
- Tooth Extraction:when you start to feel numbness in the jaw and cheek area, the dentist will then extract the wisdom tooth. You will not experience pain while removing the tooth. But you may feel little pulling pressure. The dentist will place a medicated gauze against the extracted wound to stop the blood flow.
After extraction, the numbness may stay for 30 minutes to 2 hours. You may feel little or no pain after the extraction. Your doctor may advise you to stop chewing the food in that jaw side. Apart from this, you can do your normal activities.
How do you take care of your mouth after wisdom tooth removal?
- Bleeding management: Blood flow is a common effect after an extraction. Stop excessive spitting during this time. Placing a gauze over the extraction site can help to relieve the blood flow.
- Pain management: Wisdom teeth removal pain is one of the unavoidable features. Your dentist will prescribe necessary painkillers. Normal pain will be solved by painkillers. If you still have the pain you can contact Sabka Dentist Clinic regarding the pain problem.
- Swelling and bruising: Swelling of your cheeks usually improves in two or three days. You can use an ice pack as directed by the dentist.
What is the best thing to eat after getting wisdom teeth out?
- Avoid Beverages: Avoid alcohol and caffeinated drinks in the first 24 hours of the treatment. Don’t drink with the straw. Drinking with a straw may lead to dislodging the blood clot from the chamber.
- Food: Soft food consumption is advised during the first 2-3 days. You can start to eat semi-soft food when you can tolerate them. Hard chewy foods can be stuck in the wound and irritate the extracted area.
When is wisdom tooth extraction needed?
At the point when knowledge teeth cause issues, or X-beams show they may down the line, they have to come out. Other valid justifications to take them out include:
- Harm to other teeth: That additional arrangement of molars can push your other teeth around, causing mouth torment and chomp issues.
- Jaw harm: Cysts can conform to the new teeth. On the off chance that they aren’t dealt with, they can dig out your jaw and harm nerves.
- Sinus Issues: Problems with shrewdness teeth can prompt sinus torment, weight, and blockage.
- Excited Gums: Tissue around the zone can grow and might be difficult to clean.
- Depressions: Swollen gums can make pockets between teeth that assist microbes with developing and holes structure.
- Arrangement: Impacted insight teeth can cause issues with swarming of other teeth and even make treatment to fix other teeth important.
When to call your dentist or surgeon?
- When you feel difficulty in breathing and swallowing
- Excessive bleeding
- When you feel severe pain even after having the painkillers
- If you find swelling is not curing after 2-3 days.
- Pus in the extracted area
How to find a Dentist?
At all Sabka dentist clinics, Wisdom tooth extraction treatment is available. You can find the nearest clinic to your location in our site. Or you can call us directly to book an appointment.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is it necessary to extract a wisdom tooth?
Removal of Impacted wisdom tooth will be indicated in the following cases:
- Recurrent pericoronitis/pain/infection: Pericoronitis is the infection/inflammation of the gums/gingiva surrounding a crown of a partially erupted tooth. Impacted wisdom tooth with recurrent pericoronitis needs to be removed.
- Recurrent infection: It can lead to more complicated problems like cellulitis, abscess etc, if left untreated, especially in a medically compromised patients.
- Caries: Caries of impacted wisdom tooth is common due to inability to access and clean the area and accumulation of biofilm. Also, pressure from erupting wisdom tooth can also result in root resorption of adjacent second molar. In such a case, prophylactic removal of impacted wisdom tooth can benefit the patient.
- Cyst associated with impacted wisdom tooth
How long can trismus last?
What are the symptoms of wisdom tooth infection?
- Tenderness, Redness
- Difficulty in chewing
- Swelling of retromolar area
- Trismus or Pain while jaw opening
- Pain radiating to ear, floor of mouth, etc
- Bad breath or Halitosis
- Extraoral swelling present at angle of jaw
- Raised body temperature
Will impacted wisdom teeth pain go away?
Is wisdom teeth removal painful?
One should not feel during wisdom teeth removal pain because the anesthesia will make the area numb. However, if one does feel pain during the procedure, tell the dentist or oral surgeon so that they can give more anesthetic. Time for wisdom tooth removal varies.
How do they remove impacted wisdom teeth?
Surgical removal of impacted wisdom tooth is carried out in the order of following steps:
- Asepsis and Isolation
- Administration of Local Anesthesia/Sedation/General Anesthesia
- Reflection of mucoperiosteal flap
- Bone removal
- Sectioning of tooth
- Debridement and smoothening of bone
- Bleeding control
- Closure by suturing
- Prescription of Medications
Should I get my wisdom teeth out if they are not bothering me?
It depends on the presence of following symptoms: