The best way during wearing braces is to ensure that you’re brushing and cleaning your teeth properly. This is because the food particles can accumulate on the teeth and the brackets that gets converted into plaque overtime.
The issue will increase if proper care is not taken that will lead to gum diseases. To avoid such terrible circumstances while wearing braces, special care has to be taken to protect the teeth, and gums from further disasters.
Make sure to use a toothbrush with soft bristles of small strip and fluoride toothpaste.
The following are the ways to brush the teeth: move the toothbrush in a circular motion, brush slowly and carefully, covering the area between teeth and gums.
Brush your teeth till 5 mins that will eliminate all the dirt that is stuck inside the bracket and the teeth. Make sure to brush after eating anything. It is necessary to replace your toothbrush quite often as the brackets are sharp that wears out the bristles.
It is difficult for the toothbrush to reach the area. So try to use a floss that removes the stuck particles from the teeth, that will eliminate the further dental problems. Patience during flossing is necessary as few mins to given for cleaning. In the case of people who are wearing braces it take time to floss.
Use a floss thread that is recommended by the dentist to clean the teeth daily. Pull a length of thread to floss through the teeth. Slide the floss from side to side and up and down to clean it completely. Do another round of flossing, but this time at the archwires, make sure you do not do is forcefully and do it in a gentle manner.
Wearing braces does not mean that you don’t have to visit the dental clinic. Dental checkup will continue till the time your braces are not off. The checkup will include the replacement of the bands and brackets. Also they will determine the perception of moving teeth and compare it with the impression taken. They will decide the further plan for the treatment.
A diet has to be followed that will completely change the impression and the appearance of the teeth. Start avoiding the food and drinks that are not good for the braces. Foods that are hard, sticky, or sugary should be completely avoided.
It can result in breaking down of the wire, bands, and bracket. It will be helpful to avoid sugary items or else it will result in tooth decay. Biting of Nail, pencil, and pen chewing should be avoided as these too can cause damage to your wore braces and wires.
Examples of Sticky Food items to Avoid:
- Chewing gum
Examples of Hard Food items to Avoid:
- Frigid Ice
- Apples and carrots Bagels
- Pizza that is crust
Minimize Sugary Food items like:
- Ice Cream
Drinks to Avoid:
- Sweetened tea
- Juice Boxes
- lemonade or iced tea
- Energy drinks
In the case of consuming the beverage drinks, it is safe to consume milk products and juices with no sugar and soda.
- Dr. Preethi Nagarajan Dental Director of Sabka dentist says “Orthodontic treatment brings positive changes in the individual who wants to correct their smile. However, she adds a commitment to discomfort and pain required as it causes gentle discomfort. She further keeping your teeth clean is also one of the important aspects so your teeth will also stay healthy”
- Dr. Ankita Gada Dental Director of Sabka dentist says “Braces are the boon to crooked teeth Because no more a person needs to compromise his self-esteem.”
- Dr. Zita Antao Dental Director of Sabka dentist says “patients who come for regular checkup has lesser chances of tooth decay. Because any tooth problem will be identified and treated in its early stage.”
- The Cost of Braces – It’s More Affordable Than You Think!
- What Happens If You Have Braces and Don’t Brush Your Teeth?